Meaningless Drivel Monday: Scamp Update (Lots of Photos!)

Remember this little guy? (gal?)

Progress has been slow on her restoration but today I got back inside and made some progress!

I caulked the gaps between the pieces of Ensolite that line the walls.  I had already painted them a light sage green using Behr ultra latex paint.  I am so happy with that color!  
When the caulk is dry I will go in and paint it the same color as the walls.  Yes, I know that foam around the air conditioning unit is ridiculous.  It was a temporary fix until I can get in there and trim it to fit.  

I finished all the rag curtains but had to take them down to caulk and paint.  I can’t wait to show you what they look like up.  So cute!  Visit my Etsy shop to order some for yourself!  
Hubby had to extend the floor in front of the door because the door was bent out a bit.  It was much easier to fix it that way than to try and bend the door back.  We just need to add a threshold and carpet now.
I primed the cabinet doors which will be painted red to match the upholstery fabric.  That hole in the countertop was where the cooktop stove used to be.  It will be covered with a board and a microwave oven.
This opening held the furnace which we removed.  It will be made into storage and covered with another rag curtain.
I haven’t decided where the butterfly chalkboard will end up, but it is cute!
The sitting area with potty cabinet door primed and floor ready for carpet.
The cupboards over the bed and bench, and the potty chair door, will be painted turquoise.
This is the door to the closet primed and ready for red paint.  Some turquoise paint was left on the paintbrush but it will be repainted anyway.
Lucy the cat keeps me company while I work.  She usually ends up with some paint on her fur!
Molly (left) and Maggie, two of our Boston terriers, watch Lucy from the backyard.  
Whitey also watches Lucy.
Lucy ignores them, of course.
There is still much work to do.  She also needs a good scrubbing and some new paint on the exterior.  All in due time, all in due time.  

Let me know what you think of our progress!



At Home Monday: A windy, cold, Scampy day!

Remember this little gal?

I’m back to working on her again!  Today I made lots of headway painting the interior walls.  She has this weird foamy wall covering that I tried to clean with all sorts of cleaners, but nothing seemed to faze it; in fact, one cleaner I used actually left little holes!  (Must have been the bleach)  

When I figured out that no ordinary cleaner would get rid of the stubborn spots of mildew and discoloration, I decided to try spray paint.  Have you ever used spray paint in a space of only about 100 square feet?  I wore a mask, but it was still suffocating.  And the spray paint did not dry evenly and left the Ensolite wall foam stuff STICKY!  Can you imagine the hair, fur, dust, flies, etc. that would eventually end up stuck on the walls?  Gag!

So. . .I left it for awhile.  A long while.  About two years, to be exact.  Not just because I couldn’t figure out what to do with the interior walls, but I took a new job that required two hours of daily commuting which didn’t leave much time for Scamp restoration. Now that I am retired, I have much more time to devote to my little fiberglass gal.

One day as I rummaged through my utility closet looking for something, my eye fell on several small paint samples I had saved from our house-painting project.  It was a light bulb moment–one of the samples was light sage Behr premium ultra flat, perfect for the Scamp.  As soon as I could I was out in the camper slapping some of it on the walls.  In 24 hours, I checked it.  No stickiness, flawless coverage.  I had found my wall solution!  After a trip to Home Depot for more paint, this is what I have accomplished:

Poor little bedroom area.  Hubby and I removed the mattress, cushions, curtains, stripping her down.  Note the dirty white Ensolite walls with the yellowed tape strips.
The fiberglass compartment provides storage and covers wiring.  Hubby lifted it out to install new carpeting.   Note the new light sage walls.  The yellowed tape has been removed and will be replaced by flexible white caulking.  New cushion covers will be added to the top of the compartment, providing a base for a newly designed bedroom area which can double as a dining area if I like.
This window air conditioning unit stopped working so we replaced it with another one.  These little campers were not designed to carry a rooftop a/c unit.  Some Scamp renovators have installed a/c units in the closet or in the back window but for now we will leave it on the side.  More dirty Ensolite, and a yucky dirty mattress cover!  Ew!

That foam around the a/c unit will be replaced.  New sage paint on the walls!
I also started painting the other area, the “living area,” where there will be a little bench seat near the door.  Originally it would convert to bunk beds, making room for a very cozy camping experience for four!  I will not be bothering with the bunk beds.  

I can’t wait to finish painting and get the bed and seat put together with the new cushions!  I will also be painting over the woodgrain cabinet doors–not sure what color yet.  Stay tuned for the next Scampy day report!